Tuesday, March 28, 2006


Great site for creating GPS maps

I'd been pondering buying some sort of mapping software. At least, something better than Garmin's Mapsource software. Mapsource is fine, but I wanted something with topo maps in the background. I'd considered shelling out the $99 for National Geographic's Topo! software, which is really good.

Then, I stumbled across
www.gpsvisualizer.com and was hooked.
This site lets you not only create maps online, for free, it lets you choose any number of backgrounds for the maps, including aerial photos and satellite images.

Several of my hikes, including the Knoxville State Wildlife Area, as well as Zim Zim falls and Road 53, have used this to create the maps. Not too shabby!

1 comment:

Yolohiker said...

I do a similar thing with gpsvisualizer, then bring into photoshop elements for annotation.

The other thing I love about gpsvisualizer is that it also allows you to create Google Earth files, so you can see your track in 3d.

I've tried Delorme's topo, as well as Mapsource, but really like being able to see actual topo maps and aerial photos as background.